Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Dream Job

Since no one is reading this I guess I can dream in cyberspace. If I could do anything I wanted in the church world for work, I would love to be an production/environment/series enhancement guy. I know there is no official "Minister or Environments/Production/Series Development" but that is my dream gig.

I come from the era of larger than life concert events, where it was an experience for the eyes and the ears. When you think about it we are proclaiming the most important message the world has ever received and we do it in forgettable ways week after week. In my mind church should be an experience each week, where people walk out saying WOW, I'M COMING BACK AND I'M BRINGING FRIENDS WITH ME!

If we really believe in the message, we should put it out there in a way that can't be ignored. Engaging the senses. I know it can be done better than we do it. We want God to show up and do everything, but we don't give Him a whole lot to work with. We give Him a steaming pile of crap and say, "Do something great with it Lord, Bless it, and change lives."

I recently had a conversation with a song writer and he said something that rocked my world. He asked me how many time I listen to any given sermon/message/talk that I hear. Because I am a freak, I said 5-10 time depending on the topic or teaching. He said that was the same for him, but then he asked how many time I listen to songs that I love, WOW 50-100 plus, and I revisit different songs going back a lot of years. As I type this I am listening to some old music from the early 90's, music that is 15 years old, I very rarely dig out old messages and revisit them like that.

Why? Songs engage us in a different way, they speak to us on many levels, they grab us emotionally, and take us back in time to special moments, they entice our ears with sweet tones that stimulate us, they make our hearts race faster, or they mellow us out. Songs are so powerful and enduring, but what about or messages, or weekend service events? Too often they are forgettable.

My Dream Job would be to try and make every weekend/Series like that song you can't get out of your head. The would be a Freakin' Cool Job!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone Hiring?

No comments: